Friday, February 10, 2012

You is Smart, Pretty, & Important - Fun Fridays

    This weekend your fun assignment is to fill your child with super great thoughts about themselves by speaking encouraging words to them. Your child's mind is a storage box into which people and events are putting ideas about who they are and what they will become. How impressionable and very easily convinced they are. They are listening when we say things like, "They are better at spelling than they are at math." or, "They can't get along with their brother." Ask yourself, "What have I been making my kid think about themselves lately?" Unfortunately, I have to admit that one of my daughters probably thinks she is a "whiny-pants", because that is what I told her (even though I know it is "not nice to call names".)
      Words of encouragement do not have to be deep or profound. It could be as simple as, "Your mama loves you" or, "I'm so proud of you."  Direct them to what you want them to become. For example, "You are learning to love Jesus more and more" or, "You are so very kind," or "I am so glad that you seem to be enjoying school more lately." To be inspired, watch the kind nanny in the movie "The Help" who continually reassures the little girl who is neglected by her mother with the words, "You is smart. You is pretty. You is important." Wouldn't you like it if someone told you that?
      Tell me about ways you encourage your kids, or ways you like to be encouraged.

No comments: