Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Slow Down for Sweets - Wise Wednesday

   Valentine's Day would not be complete without all the sweet treats. Through her book, One Thousand Gifts, Ann Voskamp has been teaching me about how to cultivate a grateful heart. She suggests slowing down to focus on God's goodness in all things. I hope these quotes below from her book will inspire you to action (well a slowing down of all the action).

"Haste makes waste."
"Hurry makes us hurt."
"Life is dessert -- too brief to hurry....When did I stop thinking life was dessert?...
"It takes a full twenty minutes after your stomach is full for your brain to register satiation.  How long does it take your soul to realize that your life is full? The slower the living, the greater the sense of fullness and satisfaction.  The body and soul can synchronize."
"Wherever you are, be all there." - Elizabeth Elliot
" Being in a hurry. Getting to the next thing without fully entering the thing in front of me. I cannot think of a single advantage I've ever gained from being in a hurry. But a thousand broken and missed things, tens of thousands, lie in the wake of rushing...Through all that haste I thought I was making up time. It turns out I was throwing it away." - Mark Buchanan

         Take time to show your sweet kid how much you love them by slowing down and really enjoying a sweet treat with them today. Share with them how very grateful to God you are for all the little things in life - like sweet treats, but also for the big, giant things in your life like your sweet kid. 
        What are some ways we can slow down or stop hurrying? How do you make your kids feel loved and important?

No comments: