Monday, April 30, 2012

Surprise! - Mother's Day Memories #1

What do you want for Mother's Day?! If you say, "Oh, you don't need to get me anything." Don't be surprised if you don't get anything. We usually want to be surprised by something grand on special days like our anniversary, birthdays, mother's day, etc - so we won't tell our husbands directly what we really want.  Stop dropping hints and expecting him to figure things out:
         1. He doesn't look at the catalogs you leave laying around with circled items.
         2. He isn't listening when you talk loudly on the phone while sitting next to him- "Oh Susie, it was so thoughtful of your husband to _____________."
         3. He thinks you are just making random conversation when you mention things casually in passing - "Do you think this necklace needs matching earings?",or "Boy, I sure am tired. I could use a day at the spa."

I have been married for over 10 years to a wonderfully thoughtful and observant man. So, it is odd that I am still surprised when he doesn't get me exactly what I wanted even though I was never really clear with him about what I really wanted. His last name is Holmes, but he is not Sherlock. He is only good at figuring out clues, if I notify him, "Honey, this is a clue about what I want for mother's day."

If you really do want something specific for Mother's Day, just tell your husband in direct language what you want.  If you would rather be surprised by what he comes up with, then don't expect to get exactly the gift or service that you wanted. Instead, just expect to be surprised! That way even if you get some type of cheesy heart object you still will have gotten what you wanted - to be surprised. The key is to decide what it is that you really want. That is the hard part for us women.

No comments: