Friday, April 27, 2012

If Mama Ain't Happy - Finding Joy Endnote

I am sure you have heard the saying, "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." Well, the opposite is true as well.  As the mom, you set the attitude for the house.  It is going to be hard for your kids to stay angry, mean, or whiny, if you joyfully respond to everything they do with the strong yet gentle love of Christ.

I don't know how often I kick myself because I realize that the behavior that I am continually correcting in my children - the yelling, complaining, materialism, etc. - was learned from me in the first place! My kids would be better, if I did a better job of leading by example - especially with a heart attitude of joy, love, and service.

So, I am excited to tell you, I did something right this week that they decided to copy! I was inspired by the book - One Thousand Gifts - to start my own list of 1,000 blessings. (See my post two days ago for more info on this amazing book.) I simply told them what I had already started, and gave them some pretty notepads designed for grocery lists or to-do lists.  I was pleasantly surprised that they are having the best time seeing who can come up with the most things they are grateful to God for. Our goal is 1,000, but they are both already close to 200!

"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." - 3 John 1:4   What have your children done lately that have brought you joy?

No comments: