Monday, April 9, 2012

The Blahs - Finding Joy #1

Hello Friend,
      Do you ever feel down, depressed, or just plain blah for no good reason? Do you ever have trouble finding your joy despite the fact that you have much to be joyful about? Honestly I have been really struggling lately with negativity and anger. I am a natural pessimist and perfectionist so I tend to lean a little toward the negative side of the pendelum normally, but for about the last three months I have been near the bottom of the dial. I think my family crisis with my sister Mandy (Mother of seven young children, recently suffered a severe stroke as a result of brain surgery to remove a tumor) triggered it. However, Mandy is now at home and is recovering miraculously better than we could have ever hoped. I have great reason to rejoice yet I am still down. Sometimes our feelings do not listen to the facts. Today, I would like for you to join with me on the beginning of a journey to find joy.

Where should we look to find joy? I would love to hear your input on how you find true joy.

3 comments:

Kristin Cook said...

I would never have thought of you to be a pessimist! I've heard (and believe to be true) that joy is not based on circumstances. It's something that you possess because Christ lives in you.

Marcy said...

"Sometimes our feelings don't listen to the facts." - SO TRUE! It is so easy to swim around in all the brokeness we encounter, isntead of rejoicing in the great restoration work Christ is doing in us and the gift of salvation he so freely gives! It is a challenge for me to "consider it all joy," but walking down that road promises sanctification - how wonderful!

Sarah Holmes said...

Unknown Commenter and Kristin are so right! We can't look for JOY externally in this world or in our circumstances, instead we must look for our joy in the work that Christ is doing within our hearts. But what does that look like practically? Join me in my journey over the next couple of weeks. Hopefully, we will figure it out.