Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"I'm Bored!"

When you give your kids some down time during this spring break, let me challenge you to face those dreaded words, "Mom, I'm bored" with boldness. My mom used to always say to me, "Only boring people get bored." I have to admit that I did not want to be a boring person, but I think I like the below options better.

1. "Let's think of something fun to do." - Direct them to the game closet, new craft supplies, the water hose, the outdoors, blankets for a fort, new books from the library, etc.
2. "If you can't find something to do, I can think of lots of things you can help me with." Give them some examples of jobs such as organizing, dishes, etc. You may be surprised that sometimes that actually do want to help you. 
3. "If you are bored, then serve the Lord." Be ready with some good ideas for serving others like helping an elderly neighbor, making a card or cookies for a friend, talking to a lonely relative on the telephone. Let them think of those that they know that may have a need.

Share with other moms how do you respond to those dreaded words, "Mom, I'm bored?"

No comments: