Monday, March 5, 2012

Giving Up - Guest Blogger Tara Hicks

See how happy we
can be when we give up on
keeping things perfectly clean?
We are now 2 months into the new year and if you are like me, your New Year's resolutions have now been packed neatly away with the last box of Christmas decorations that were in a heap in your garage.

There is one resolution that I am still feeling good about though. I'm holding to it...

2012 is my year of giving up...

By the end of 2011, I found I was tired...REALLY tired.  Now, some of that was due to the three children - 5, 2, and infant living in my house; however, I realized I brought much of that exhaustion on myself with a large spoonful of guilt.  I had been killing myself to keep the house and laundry perfectly cleaned and dinners perfectly cooked. I was getting so caught up in the never-ending-ness of my jobs as house manager that I was miserable.  I was constantly barking at my family to pick up and clean up.  I stopped inviting people over because I was too tired to do a complete cleaning, only to have to clean up again after they ate a high preparation meal that broke our grocery budget.

So my solution for 2012 was to resolutely give up - okay, it is more of a letting go of my idea of perfection.  I still try to keep the toilet relatively clean and my house straightened, but with the understanding that I have 3 young kids that are constantly getting into something. My friends understand this reality. I have found that if they are greeted with a warm smile, warm cup of coffee, and a simple coffee cake, they don't even notice the dirty dishes in the sink, or a few crumbs on the floor.

Letting myself off the hook of perfection, has helped me realize that managing my home properly is more of a heart issue than a physical issue.  My heart is now more geared to grace and mercy (for myself and others) and less on control and perfection.  My family is happier. I am happier and more rested. And really, I think I might be getting almost as much done as before.  Whew... who knew giving up could look and feel so good?

- Tara Hicks is a military wife,  stay-at-home mother of three, colossal crafter, cooking genius, and friend extraordinaire.  Thanks for sharing Tara!

On Tara's suggestion, I am going to give up my perfect record of blogging every weekday since the beginning of the year. From here on out, I will blog 2 to 3 times a week! What are you going to give up that is not necessary, but that you are holding onto just for the picture of perfection? Seek God's direction in what He thinks you should let go of. 


4 comments:

Diane said...

Thanks Tara for the great reminder! I heap a load of guilt and responsibility on myself for things that should never weigh so much in the first place. My pride won't let me drop any of the balls i have juggling over head, but i am sure going to be deliberate about not picking so many up. Kudos to you for making memories from the messing-and managing to get a photo to prove it!
Miss you guys!
Diane

Sarah Holmes said...

Diane has just been entered in the monthly drawing for a free resource of her choice because she left a comment on Tara's brilliant post. Thanks Diane for your comment. So far your chances for winning look pretty good:) Who else wants to be entered?

jetjrfhth said...

Reading this made me miss both Sarah and Tara--good friends like you two are a huge blessing, and I'm wishing I could sit with you both for a cup of coffee and a slice (or 3...) of coffee cake. :-) Thank you for the reminder--there is so much freedom to be found in "giving up". What I'm really giving up when I do that is my focus on those things which don't really matter and allowing God to put my focus on what He desires. If only I remembered that on a daily basis!

Sarah Holmes said...

Thanks for the kind words jetjrfhth! You made my day!