Friday, March 9, 2012

Focus - Fun Fridays

     God developed us girls with the great ability to multi-task knowing that this is a key survival skill for moms.  However, if we are always flitting from one thing to the next, many things get worked on, but not much gets completely finished. When I continually go day to day surviving, but not getting anything completely checked off my list, I start to feel overwhelmed and frustrated. My natural inclination is to make grand plans and lists of all the things I am going to complete the next day, which only leads to more frustration. Before I totally freak out, my wise and loving husband steps in to encourage me with his amazing ability to focus. His advice is, "Just handle all the things that come at you daily (such as daily care of the children, mail, phone calls, etc.), then try to get one additional thing done - just one."  This doesn't sound like much, but you will be surprised at how fast your 'to do' list shrinks if you consistently stay on top of the daily tasks and just add one extra thing everyday. The 'one thing' could be big or small - talk to your seven year old about responsibility while you do daily chores side by side, clean out the refrigerator, visit with your great grandmother on the phone, organize your closet, make sure you connect on a deep level with your preteen, finish one conversation with your husband, etc.
       What are you going to focus on this weekend?  Since there are three days counting today, I am planning three things this weekend - 1. for fun and relationship building- let them pick one fun activity for me to do with them 2. for learning - give the person who can go the longest without complaining or whining a prize, and 3. for household maintenance - try to find the surface on my desk.  I would love to hear what 'one thing' you are going to focus on soon, or any methods that you use to help you be more effective in your home. Have a great weekend!

No comments: