Wednesday, July 25, 2012

My Native American Name is...... - Courage to Continue to Change #2

     My husband encourages creativity with my girls by coming up with random dinner table conversation. One evening, a couple of years back, he suggested that we make up Native American names for ourselves.

Summer decided that since her favorite color at the time was red and she liked flowers her name would be "Redflower".

Kyah was still too little to talk at the time, but her name means diamond in the sky, and she truly does brighten our home, so we dubbed her "Shining Star".

Well, I am way too particular and not as clever as my husband, so he decided to help me since I was having trouble thinking of a name for myself.  To tease me and give the girls a good laugh, Micah decided my name should be, "Screaming Bear"!  The girls loved this one, and I have to admit it was pretty funny. We laughed for awhile over this one, and all enjoying doing our own impressions of a screaming bear.

Sadly, the reason the name "Screaming Bear" was so funny was because it actually did describe this Mama Bear pretty well, and still does at times. However, I can gladly say that I don't scream as much as I used to. I still have lots of room for more improvement, but I am headed in the right direction.

In order to keep my temper in check I have to remind myself to:
1. Keep things in perspective.
2. Remove myself fom a situation and cool off at times.
3. Seek God's help through prayer and Scriptures such as, "...be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger" - James 1:19

I am glad this name for me was just a joke and did not stick.  Make up positive Native American names for your family, and just think about what your kids or husbands might say would be one of your main weaknesses. How can you strive to overcome this weaknesses?

No comments: