Friday, May 4, 2012

I thank God for you because... - Mother's Day Memories #3

Daily life as a mom requires that we talk to our kids about things they don't like to hear often - correction, chores, homework, bedtime, etc..  Let's try to balance all these negative words with some positive ones. Tell your kid why you think they are so great!  Here are some simple ideas.
1. Write a short note and put it:
                in their lunch box
                on their pillow
                on the bathroom mirror or sink.
2. Make a new special place where you can leave notes for them regularly:
                 a pillow with a pocket in it
                 a see through plastic paper protector taped up on the shower
                 a white board next to the toilet.
3. Make plans to make a long list:
                 10 reasons I love my 10 year old.
                 Message in a Bottle - My husband filled an old bottle with tiny messages for me.
                 Medicine Bottle - fill it with little notes to help them feel better when they are down.
                 On a deck of cards - 52 reasons I thank God for you for the 52 weeks in a year
                 (These last two ideas were from my Bible study leader, Elaine, who inspires me often)

I would love to hear about your ideas for encouraging your children.

When I write these encouraging words to my kids it is amazing to see how my heart is softened toward them as I remind myself of how great my kids really are.  When I have a grateful heart toward them, it is much easier to tolerate the few things about them that aren't so great.  Have a great weekend being an encouraging and grateful mom!
P.S. I am sure your husband would love for you to encourage him as well.

No comments: