Monday, May 28, 2012

Are you Heavy Laden? - Persevering Activities #7

Short Story - For our last lesson on Perseverance,
enjoy this short story from Creative Correction by Lisa Welchel (Blaire from TV show "Facts of Life")

"One day while I was sitting beneath a tree at the base of a large hill, something caught my eye. A young girl was traveling with a man I assumed was her father. As they hiked the steep path together, the man stooped down, picked up a rock, and put it in her empty backpack. He repeated this every few feet. Despite this, the girl pressed on, but before reaching the top, she fell from the weight of her burden.

That load is too heavy for such a small child! I thought angrily.

Unable to watch any longer, I raced to her defense. When I reached the top, I saw that she was resting in her father's arms. He had picked her up and carried her the rest of the way.

After catching my breath, I grilled the man. "What kind of father are you?" I demanded. "Why would you purposely make your daughter stumble by increasing her burden?"

He pointed to a distant summit. Beyond many larger hills and deep valleys stood a beautiful castle. He explained: "My daughter is a princess and that is her home. There are challenging roads ahead of her that you cannot see from the foot of the hill. She must be strengthened for the journey ahead. There will come a time when I will remove the stones she is carrying one by one. In the meantime, I will walk beside her, and she will learn to lean on me.

What are the "rocks" or burdens in your backpack? If the rocks are getting too heavy, learn to walk beside Christ and lean on Him.  He will give you rest.

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." - Matthew 11:29-30 

No comments: