Saturday, May 5, 2012

Get Rid of Guilt - Mother's Day #4

If I could truly ask for anything for Mother's Day it would be for someone to take away my "Mom Guilt".  You know what I am talking about:
   1. Feeling like I am a bad mom
   2. and that I am never going to be good enough,
         and as a result neither are my kids.
   3. Second-guessing things that I have do
   4. Replaying in my head what is already over-and-done
          and feeling bad for the choices that I made.
   5. Feeling bad for falling short when I compare myself to others or what I think they expect from me.

True conviction comes from the Holy Spirit, the law, the gospel, and our conscience (John 16:8, Acts 2:37, Romans 2:15, James 2:9).  God has made us to naturally feel bad when we do something wrong so that we can ask for forgiveness and change.  However, if you are feeling bad about something that you cannot change, don't need to change, or already sought forgiveness for and changed, then you are feeling false guilt not conviction.

Stop comparing yourself to others and the world's standard.  When you feel those guilty feelings coming on, match up your actions to Christ's law and the gospel to see if there really is something you should feel guilty about. If not, then remind yourself how God put you and your kids together as the perfect match. You are the best mom for your kids. Seek Christ' strength and direction for being the best mom that you can be.

What do you do to combat feelings of false guilt that moms often struggle with?
You are great mom! Get ready to celebrate mothers day guilt free!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often will have guilt for not being as good of a mom as my mom was. I have to remind myself that I am a good mom but not the same type of mom. God created me to be different and placed my daughters in my arms because with His help I would be the perfect mom for them.

Sarah Holmes said...

Faith Anne,
Great insight. It is wonderful that you were blessed with such a great mom. Since none of us are perfect, do you think when you were young your mom maybe had feelings of guilt in some areas as well? This might be an interesting Mother's Day conversation for the two of you to share. I am sure she would love to hear your words of thankfulness to her.