Sunday, August 12, 2012

What Does Your Kid's Hair and Clothes Say about You?- Back to School #2

Get your cameras ready and make a plan for your first day back at school pics.
1. You can make a cute frame for them to hold (thanks to James N' Mel Z on Pinterest)
2. Make a sign for your kid to hold saying what grade They are in.
3. Make a short video, and ask your child what a few of their favorite things are or what they want to learn more about.
4. Or just take photos on the front porch super casual like I do.
Whatever you do, you don't want to miss documenting your child's first day back at school in some way.

I love seeing how my kids change year after year, and looking back at these photos helped me notice not only how much they had changed, but how I have changed as well. Notice how cute and well put together my girls are in the first photo on the right (2 years ago PreK and K5). Then take a look at the second photo below on the left (1 year ago K5 and 1st).  They are still cute of course, but it does not take a well trained eye to notice that these girls are not quite as well groomed.

The funny part is that this really is one of their good days. Typically their hair and clothes are crazier than this. So what do these two photos tell me about myself? I admit at first, I was a little embarrassed and thought twice about posting this, because I thought this second picture said I wasn't being a very good mom.  Then I realized that I am still a work in progress, and this picture actually says to me that I am an even better mom now than I was a year ago because it shows that I am doing a better job at working toward:
1. Caring less of what other people think of me because of how my kids look and more about my accountability to God for raising my kids the way He wants me to.
2. Stopping being such a control freak about appearances and other things, and letting them become more independent and responsible for dressing and grooming themselves.
3. Being a more laid back fun mom with Godly priorities, and less picky perfectionist mom.

I am still a work in progress and so are they. Don't judge me because of how my kids look and I will try to give you the benefit of the doubt as well.

Here is this years photo. (Jolie in 3rd, Summer in 2nd, Kyah age 3).  I would looooooooooooove to see your kids first day photo.

Go to my website - TheCharacterMom.com and use the handy tool on the blog to post your photo as your comment!

How have you and your kids changed this year?

No comments: