Monday, October 15, 2012

What to Wear for Halloween?

Dorothy is surprised and upset just like me!
It upsets me that it is okay for public school teachers to teach my impressionable children about witches and other scary evil things at Halloween when prayer, God, and definitely Jesus have been banned!!!!! This is very upsetting but not too surprising.

Here is something that is surprising and even more upsetting to me:

Growing up all things associated with Halloween was banned and despised, so I am not quite that strict. I love to dress-up, and we let our kids dress up for their class Halloween parties at school (although we do tell them that we are celebrating Reformation Day instead of Halloween). I think you can have fun without the fright during this season.

However, I don't understand how real believers in Jesus Christ can embrace the witches and goblins and evil things associated with Halloween - even dressing their children as witches and other innapropriate evil creatures - when the Bible is clear about the seriousness of sin - especially of witchcraft!

Galatians 5:19-21 says, "The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft..... I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God."

Growing up in a secular society desensitizes our kids to the seriousness of sin. Christian Moms and teachers, let me encourage you to please stand strong and do not let your children be even more desensitized against sin and encourage other moms to do the same.

Be discerning. My mom had a great rule for dress-up: "Don't dress up like anything that you should not be in real life."

Witches are not cute little girls in pointy hats. They are real people who practice magic using the power of the devil! Is this what you want your kid to pretend to be? How about a mass murderer? How about a psychopath?

Come on guys, this is not rocket science. A rocket scientist would be a great costume!

Do you have any other great costume ideas? Maybe a super hero or a great story book character? I would loooooove to see your pictures.

Do you have any ideas for having fun without the fright this fall?

2 comments:

shelbell said...

So fun to see your blog! My four kids were Dorothy, A Snow Princess, A Sushi Chef and a piece of Sushi. Press on, Sarah! XO

Sarah Holmes said...

Way to be creative, Michelle! I loooooved the picture you sent me via e-mail. My readers would love to see this one. Please go to my real website at TheCharacterMom.com and post it in the comments area. I have this neato tool that lets you add it right there easy peasy. While you are there, click on the frame to get my weakly posts right in your e-mail!